You must apply using our online application, which opens on October 15th.
The online application and any supplementary materials are due February 1st.
You will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision by April 30th.
To apply for the Henry David Thoreau Scholarship you must:
- reside in Massachusetts and be in your final year at a Massachusetts high school
- plan to enroll in college the year that the Thoreau Scholarship is awarded
- demonstrate strong academic qualifications and a commitment to an environmental field
Here are some resources for putting your best foot forward with your Thoreau Scholarship application:
Henry David Thoreau Scholar Requirements
If selected as a Thoreau Scholar, you must:
- enroll at an accredited college or university of your choice
- carry 25% of your undergraduate coursework in subjects related to the environment (you may choose any major/minor)
- submit an annual report of your activities in the environmental field, including academic courses
- provide an official copy of your transcript at the end of each semester and maintain greater than a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
In addition, Henry David Thoreau Scholars are strongly encouraged to secure and complete an internship in the environmental field, which commonly occurs between their junior and senior year. Scholars may apply to the Selection Committee for an internship stipend.
Meet Our Scholars
I have always been deeply passionate about big cat conservation. Though big cats remain threatened worldwide, I am hopeful that current conservation approaches will work, and that we will develop new strategies to integrate conservation with local community needs. Whenever I have doubted the feasibility of my passion or my ability to reach my goals, the HDTF community has supported me unfailingly and bolstered my confidence in pursuing this path.